Thursday, June 11, 2009

Feline Dream - Lull (BEW remix)


Quite a few years a go (approx. 15!) there were a number of independant record shops in Belfast. One of my favourites was Dr. Robert's. This was because it had a rather large section dedicated to demo casettes made by bands from in and around the country, something that other larger chain stores didn't. This appealed to me for many reasons, not least because I had very little in the line of disposable income, so affordable fresh tunes were easy to get hold of (in a way that many young internet users probably can't quite appreciate).

My friend Colin and I spent a good amount of time listening to the gems and horrors we'd picked up. One in particular stood out, by Feline. It stood out because it made us laugh. The synths and melodramatic vocals cracked us up. We were smitten by American indie-rock and their brand of English synth pop was pretty hysterical to us at the time, but one track in particular stood out; Lull. It was, and still is quite special to me. Sparse, melodic and emotional. It reminds me of simpler times when life wasn't as digitally enhanced.

Imagine my joy and surprise when I got to converse with it's creators. When i finally got to see them perform, years later; when my palette had matured, it all made sense.

I eventually got offered the master files from the original 4-track cassettes and made a (camp?) remix. It's now online for everyone to enjoy. I hope you take the time to give it a listen. Even if it makes you laugh in the snooty way it did when I first heard it.

Labels: , , , ,

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home