Monday, October 26, 2009

FLOSS

Most of the workshops I have attended and delivered in the past have been centered around using expensive software and hardware. I imagine that a number of people are not going to be able to practice the skills they were taught due to limited access to the expensive resources they were steered towards using.

Learning how to use free software in a creative context is probably where my future efforts should be pointed. I have used some free audio and video programmes in the past, but I still have a lot of learning to do.

I attended two meetings of FLOSS music at the Black Box earlier this year. It was inspiring stuff, with people sharing patches and giving demos of some of their work, both finished pieces and works-in-progress.

The ups and downs of life have distracted me from digging deeper until now. (Thanks to MeFi) I found the Digital Artists Handbook. If you're interested, you might want to have a look here at the GoTo10 site.

I'm keen to learn and I'd be willing to pay to attend lessons in using the various pieces of software out there (Super Collider, Pure Data, Processing). There seems to be a world of interesting creative work going on that I have only found traces of online, if anyone out there can point me towards more information about it; on or offline, I'd appreciate it.

If you know of a book or site I should be reading or a course I should be attending; drop me a line.

Labels: , , , ,

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home